Thursday, August 30, 2012

11 months in Los Angeles/25 Years on Earth

Happy Summer Readers and Friends!!!!

Did anyone accomplish anything this summer? That makes one of you. I can sum up my LA summer pretty easily here. As that dude says, no use complaining! The White Sox are still in first place, I got to perform in front of a paying audience again, I may have tricked some people here in to liking me or hanging out with me--overall, I'm reaching one year in LA without feeling like a jaded nomad, wandering Sunset Blvd, wondering why I moved here. That was goal number one.

Also, I live on a block with this guy, chained to a fence. Life is never boring.

Terrifies me every time I walk by.

I am still nannying, but getting a little tired of my boss asking me how long I'm giving myself here to "make it" before I give up, while she online shops and I cut apples and think up activities for her 3 spoiled (though adorable) kids.

There's also something about turning 25 that has brought life into a bit of a focus. 25 is not early 20s. My goals have shifted from 'work anything but a 9-5 job, 'explore and meet people', 'travel and live a poor but exciting life' to 'MONEY WANT MONEY WANT CLOTHES WITHOUT HOLES IN THEM.' Thus, I will attempt next to do so (while still pursuing all my very special dreams.) Stay tuned for that?

I like to use this blog to remind myself that I am, as always, "a piece of shit" to motivate myself to do things that indicate otherwise, but since last week was my birthday, I'll let myself off the hook. I think I'm doing okay here. I think I understand the energy and pulse of Los Angeles, and I think I've managed to be myself, and 'myself' has found a way to meet people here who aren't miserable (LA can make people, especially actors and comedians, miserable). Granted, its only year 1, but thinking about where I was a year ago, I can say I've definitely grown up. Quite a deal, actually. How terrifying, right?

The thing, here, (and maybe in life?) is that when you get what you want or accomplish a goal, there's always another step. It's nice when you can bask in it a little while (or a long while), and think to yourself, I think "I did something right." "I think my life today is better than yesterday." But my Mom will always be calling, asking me what I'm doing do better myself and career and I know that what I've done isn't enough. Until I sit up on top of Chateau Marmont, dripping in my riches and laughing at how I fooled everyone here into turning my quirks into a career, it will not be enough. And as God is my witness, I WILL get off of food stamps.

Sometime in mid-June, I rolled out of bed and realized I had to pick up keys from my roommate, who works in Beverly Hills. Without showering or thinking twice about my appearance, I ended up parked a block away from Rodeo Drive.


The exquisite shops of Rodeo Drive.


The glamorous people of Beverly Hills.

Me. 




That's how I like to sum up Ali in Cali, Year 1. There's something very delightful and comforting about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment