Monday, September 19, 2011

Welcome to my Blog! It begins in Nebraska.

This is a very special day indeed! After years of being afraid of/disgusted by/put off by blogs, I am finally embarking on one of my own.  I am certainly not above a website that allows me to practice writing, pontificate about myself and entertain a few people with some sweet jokes and stories!
The catalyst to starting this blog is a big (physical AND emotional!) move across the country, from my home in Chicago to Los Angeles, for the purpose of starting my adult life and pursuing some Hollywood/writing/entertainment dreams.  Whew! Feels so good to just come out and say it! This move feels, at this moment, very daunting, so I hope this blog will keep a steady connection to my friends and family, so you all can check in with me if you’re ever curious to what I’m doing, and maybe everyone won't feel so far away!

Something bad that could happen in Los Angeles is that I find out I don’t have, nor do I have the capacity to learn the tools to survive in the competitive film/entertainment industry. But something worse could happen, which is that I could have a measure of success, but completely lose my sense of self while doing it.  That would be infinitely worse than the first thing, so even though I think no city, social circle or person could change this CRAZY GURL, by god, I’ll at least have this blog to catalogue it all.  

Now let’s stop explaining myself and get to this road trip I'm on:

Currently driving through rural Nebraska.  Can I call it the Neb? Nebula of BORING?  That last nickname is based purely off of current highway surroundings (advertisements for the world’s biggest truck stop) and radio reception, which is barely receiving a Vikings game, as there are no professional sports in Nebraska.  However, underneath the Nebula of Boring, is the end of the midwest, and everything I hold dear to me.  Last night we ate at a restaurant in Omaha, which was wonderful for many midwest-based reasons. Everyone at the bar had just come from the Nebraska football game, the appetizer menu was all fried foods and the drinks were SO DAMN CHEAP.  I’m sure it’s just binge-drinking nostalgia, but something about a $5 cocktail made me consider, momentarily, moving to Omaha instead of California. Instead I watched the bar full of happy Nebraska fans, feeling like this is where the Real America lives, 
and I’m leaving it all to go reside in Fake America. 
And that’s all I have to say about that. (--Forrest Gump) 


    Me, literally reaching out for the midwest as it fades away.  Pretty deep, eh??

I leave you, as we drive on peacefully, with just the sounds of tire on road, and The Band’s Across the Great Divide.  




Dad:  "These songs are mediocre."

No comments:

Post a Comment